The springs were an important source of water for Arabunna people in dry periods when less saline water from rock holes, soaks and creeks was not available. It was also an important mythological site.
There are only a small number of springs still flowing, some mounds ceased to flow partly due to sinking of bores in the Great Artesian Basin.
The site was named after State Parliamentarian Henry Bull Templar Strangways by South Australian Commissioner of Police, Peter Edgerton Warburton.
1862 - pastoral lease, one of the first in the area.
1870 - selected as site of a repeater station for the Overland Telegraph.
1876 - homestead moved to Anna Creek
1884-1891 - building of the Ghan saw a number of temporary buildings constructed, mainly canvas and iron, some more substantial.
1896 - station closed, telegraph transferred to William Creek.