The oldest swing bridge in Australia, designed by John Grainger (father of Percy), constructed in 1883 and listed on both Historic Building Council and National Trust registers.
Designed to swing open to enable ships on the Gippsland Lakes to reach Sale - the central moveable span manually swung open to point up and down the river.
Opened three times a day until shipping declined in the 1930s. It then opened occasionally until its permanent closure in 1972. It was still used until May 2002.
Reopened in 2006 after four-year, $1million restoration.