Pathway: isDon's home -> Photos home -> Images by location -> New South Wales -> Outback NSW -> Broken Hill ->

Browne's Shaft and Lookout

This wooden headframe, built in the 1890s, is the oldest remaining in BH. The shaft was named after Sylvester Browne, a director of the Junction Mine, which was mined by a number of companies from 1884 to 1972.

The lookout provides views of part of Broken Hill as well as views of a number of other mines.


Browne's Shaft. Browne's Shaft Black-faced Woodswallow. Broken Hill mine. North mine, Broken Hill.

Click on any thumbnail for a larger image.

All images and content on this site © Don O'Connor.

isDon's home | Who isDon? | Contact Don | About this site | Site map